Monday, January 26, 2009

Petco shopping with 2 dogs and my Wife…..

It was a super lovely Saturday morning. Nothing special was planned and the weather here was unusually overcast. After R and I had breakfast we decided to take Harley and Ziggy to Petco to pick up some things we needed for the new pooch. Since we’ve only owned Ziggy now for 4 days, this would be his monumental first trip shopping at Petco. Harley has been a pro at shopping since we’ve moved to California. I was hoping that Harley would show Ziggy the ropes, as in proper doggie etiquette etc. etc. I should have known better.

Not only did everyone that didn’t have a dog with them in the store stopped to talk and pet two dogs but everyone with an animal had to do the same. We never had such a problem when it was just Harley. Maybe her size stopped some from being so friendly. Now with the little guy Ziggy though it was a different story. It wouldn’t have been such a problem but I was the one holding both dogs with the leashes because R decided she had to have a cart. (Wait a minute; I thought there was only 2 items on that list?) So as people stopped me, the dogs were criss crossing their leashes, Ziggy was living up to his name. After the 4th petting delay I was beginning to think of something very Jersey like to shout out, but that wouldn’t have been appropriate. R saw the veins popping on the side of my forehead and asked what we should do. So I took my zipper hoodie off, lined the bottom on the cart then placed Ziggy in the cart thinking this would make things better. I said to R, watch him and hold onto this, this being the leash. That worked for two isle crossings then all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I saw Ziggy in flight. He had jumped out of the cart, around two feet higher than needed and landed at least five feet in front. Around half way through that flight R started screaming JJJJJJJJUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Hey, wait a minute I thought, I’m not doing anything wrong. Oh, but I had to scamper around to get Ziggy or more like try to step on the end of the turquoise leash. After a couple of false foot stomping attempts I got him though, under the eyes of half the store. Geezzzzzzzz. I ended up having to uncrisscross the two leashes for the rest of the shopping spree which we quickly finished. Now I know why I like bigger dogs. Less people would have seen this little episode if a big dog was loose cause they would have been running away instead of staring at the little cute comedy scene. Harley, you’re such a good girl.

5 comments:

Dar said...

LOL! Hey don't you know you only get called like that when you are needed, not when you do something wrong. It's a lot shorter and more biting when you're the one causing the trouble. ... You didn't think about the crisscrossed leash thing before, eh? (Grin) ... Btw, you never did say what you got at the store. LOL. :)

Dragon said...

LOl too funny. Sorry but picturing the whole fiasco being on the outside is humorous. I will stick to my cat that stays home ALWAYS.

Propane Amy said...

Well that did it for me. I will never take my little guy shopping!!! I hate too sound like an ass here but that was TOOOOOO funny. And you will laugh too, it just may take a little more time!!! LOL

Jude said...

I'm glad I made you gals laugh. R and I did too after we got out of the store, into the car and both released a whew! Dar, I don't even remember what we bought, a box of biscuits? couple of fuzzy squeaky balls? that part didn't burn into my memory as much as the other parts did....LOL

Dar said...

I bet it didn't.(Grin)