Monday, July 6, 2009

It Had to Happen


During our stay in Florida last month we spent some time with Windy Days and Margo and one morning we all went to the beach for a few hours. Becca, Dawn, Storm, Faith, William, Ray, the Wife and I found the most perfect spot on white silky smooth sand only steps away from the water. We were on the big waves side although that day they were only little waves.

After getting a couple of towels down on the sand, a couple of umbrellas stuck into the sand and 16 various feet coverings removed and scattered, everyone headed down to the water to test out the temparture. The water was perfect!

Back at our shaded headquarters after we had lathered ourselves with sunscreen shit and the Wife and I sat in the sun for a while. After a little bit of sunning I decided I was ready to take the plunge into the water to get cooled off. The Wife asked me not to go out too far; I reminded her that my insurance was all up to date.

The Wife doesn’t go into the ocean. Only once in the countless of times that we’ve been at an ocean did she go into the water. That was at Fanning Island where there were no waves, the water was three feet deep out to the length of a football field and you could count the grains of sand that were surrounding your feet and it was a mere friggin 100 degrees. She had to go in. So it came to a complete surprise to me when she asked me to walk down to the water with her on that Floridian day so she could go into the water.

When I was in earlier I had seen some small fish swimming around but nothing else. The Wife got into the water, dipped up to her shoulders a few times and she was happy. It was on her third trip into the water when someone said something about seeing a nickel sized Jelly fish swimming around but only one. The Gulf is pretty big; the strip of beach and water where we were at was big too, well guess where that little Jelly fish landed.

Getting out of the water and walking to the blankets the Wife started to complain about a stinging sensation, on her left cheek. Becca knew right away that the Wife was a victim of a Jelly fish bite and she immediately ran up to the lifeguards to get the antidote of vinegar and water to spray on the infected area. Of course they didn’t have any of that precious juice but the lifeguard told her that rubbing wet sand on the area would give the same results. Becca charged from the lifeguard station down to the water’s edge and scooped up a large handful of wet sand. By this time I was inspecting the Wife’s left butt cheek, yes that baby Jelly fish got under the Wife’s suit and stung her on the butt. Well, I couldn’t find any red spot where she was saying it was still stinging but now Becca was at our towels and she promptly slapped the wet sand into my hand and told me to “do it”. Never being the one to delay first aide treatment I immediately began rubbing the sand on the Wife’s butt. I rubbed, and rubbed, and rubbed the wet sand onto the exposed cheek and the Wife told me the stinging was going away. I said that I should use up the rest of the sand that was in my hand, just in case. It’s a good thing she couldn’t see the shit-ass grin on my face. Handful of sand gone and the Wife’s butt felt a lot better.

Thank you Becca for your quick actions but next time, two handfuls ok?

The things we do for love. Sigh.

13 comments:

Propane Amy said...

And THAT'S one of the many reasons why I don't go in the Ocean!!! LOL I'm with R on this one. But way to go Jude.

shane rocket said...

poor R.... good first aid!!! :)

Jen said...

Poor Wife! Awwww lol. Glad there was some excellent first aid treatment and the stinging went away :)

Dawg said...

Funny!

Jess said...

LOL! Tooo funnny!! I love it! And I like to go in the ocean, but when things start touching me and I can't see what they are I tend to get a little freaked out. The jellies don't bother me...the sting rays are cute, but way too friendly...the jumping fish I could do without completely!

Helen McGinn said...

*ROTFL* I'm sorry for Wife but that's funny! Sorry for laughing...I'm mean... :O(
xx

Windy Days said...

It was pretty hilarious. I saw the momentary panic in R's eyes when I rushed her with the sand. I assured her that I also didn't think we were quite that close yet. Maybe next time:)

C said...

oooooohhh i am one to not go in the ocean, either. too many creepy things plus the motion of the waves makes me seasick.


lol


c

Camlin said...

Well, I'm guessing it will be a long time before R hits the ocean again!

lesbo said...

oh man!
what are the chances?!
thank goodness for great first aid! ;)

small town dyke said...

I'm thinking that it was the rubbing and not the sand ;)

CJ said...

Oh that must be pretty uncomfortable. Thank goodness someone knew about the wet sand trick. Ocean critters make me a bit nervous. Fortunately, we don't have too many here in the cold waters of MA.

Newbo said...

LOL always willing to do anthing to help! :)