Thursday, September 17, 2009

Gone so Fast

Warning: sad true story

The call went out as a 10-45, single car overturned. My crew only had 30 minutes left in our shift but we jumped into the ambulance as if it was our first call of the day. We arrived on scene and everything was quiet, too quiet.

On a straight strip of a two lane highway the car had crossed the grassy medium, flipped over and at some point split right in two. The front end and front seat went over the guardrail and down the embankment. The rear seat and trunk was still in the on coming lanes. The medics and firefighters were already on scene, the trauma helicopter had been called and I requested a second ambulance from our corp.

All four teenagers that were riding in the car had been ejected. The medic was working on our only patient, the other three had died on scene. I had to go check on those three to confirm they had no pulse, the firefighters followed me and gently covered each body with a sheet. Their ages were between 16 and 18 years old; kids at the beginning of their lives.

The helicopter was right over us when the medic on scene cancelled it. Our only patient had gone into cardiac arrest and that was a protocol of not flying. We put the patient in back of the ambulance and my crew did CPR on her for the next 15 minutes to the hospital. She didn't make it.

Four teenagers driving along a dry highway having the time of the lives. Maybe they were going to the mall or over to a friends house. Something happened for the driver to lose control of the car.

I went home that night and gave the Wife endless hugs and kisses and cried on her shoulder. That became one of those calls that reminded me to live my life like there's no tomorrow because you just don't know.

16 comments:

Margo said...

hate this post
i didn't pay enough attention to your warning
hate this post

you're a good girl, J.
I gotta go hug Bec

Nulaanne said...

I hated calls like this. Your right you never do know. I wish I could get Honey to think that, then maybe she and I would be together.

Dragon said...

Wow that is so sad. Reminded me of a car crash a friend of mine was in when we were teens. Same concept. They were lucky and all survived but weren't sure any of them were going to. So sad....so young.

tommy said...

***Hugs*** I have no words for this

vixen kitten said...

*hugs*

I am in awe of what you do.

love,
~vk~

C said...

very sad. so sad. such a waste of life. someone will say "it must of been their time to go" but that just pisses me off because i dont get it.

nope.

c

aneke said...

***HUGS***

Sounds like your job can be really hard sometimes.

greg said...

I just can't imagine. Thanks for being out there, doing a great job and caring about people the way you do.

Jen said...

This is so sad... they were so young. It's true - you just never know.

:(

lesbo said...

whoa.
major goosebumps all over my body.
so so sad :(

CJ said...

I can't imagine going through that on a daily basis with your job. Kudos to you for doing what some of us out here never could. I recently lost a friend due to a terrible auto accident and can barely read the reports posted in the papers...accidents such as these seem so pointless. I just don't get it.

SquirtyB said...

I think we need to hear these stories to keep things in perspective.

Thank you jude.

I am thankful to be able to spend today with the ones I love.

Real Live Lesbian said...

So incredibly sad.

Hugs~

Camlin said...

This is awful...and so sad.

When I read it, I thought about my own daughter, and how different it could have been. I've been blessed.

LilliGirl said...

I'm verclept. Thank you for sharing. (((hugs)))

2momswithaplan said...

Its possible that I heard about this story on the news. Its very sad that 4 young lives were taken so fast. Life can change in the blink of an eye but all too often, we forget that.

thank you for the reminder.