Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Meatless Tuesdays

Not that we're trying to go Vegan or Vegetarian though I have done stints of both at one time or another and cooking for carnivores was difficult during those times, the other day the Wife said she wanted to become a vegetarian or a fishvegtairan. Knowing that to go from dead flesh eating to a veghead takes time and patience so I'm working in a couple of meatless meals during the week.

I'm happy to say tonight's new found recipe/meal was a big success. Give it a try if you so dare. It's got the Wife's approval for a repeat so that says a lot. Most of the recipe was taken from Vegetarian Times.

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers

large P-mushrooms, stems removed, gills scraped out (easy to do with a spoon)
bottle of red wine (chardoney, syrah, merlot) use 2 cups for the recipe, the cook drinks the rest
chop up 1/4 cup of onion
chop up a garlic clove
pepper
thyme
whole wheat hamburger rolls
your favorite normal burger garnish

1. after cleaning the rooms, poke holes in the tops but don't break them. stick them in a baking dish
2. combine wine, onions, garlic, pepper and thyme in a small saucepan. bring to boil reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. pour over the rooms, cover and marinate for 1-2 hours.
3. get your grill hot, gently throw the rooms on it, toss out the liquid, keep drinking the bottle.
4. grill for 5 minutes on each side.

Done deal. The flavor is outrageous but you have to like mushrooms.

Next time instead of wine i might marinate in italian dressing for a different flavor. Oh and adding a slice of mozzarella cheese would do nicely too.

Cheers Queers!
Chef Jude

14 comments:

two cat scene said...

yay Jude! J and I are veg, let me know if you need some recipes!

Ang said...

Sounds awesome I will have to try it.

Mel's Way or No Way said...

A and I are not vegetarians, but we enjoy meatless meals. I don't cook, but I'll have to pass your recipe over to the house chef. Sounds good.

small town dyke said...

sounds yummy wish the wife liked mushrooms, may have to try it anyway.

vixen kitten said...

Damn, Sugar, you cook too?

These sound wondeful! I'm giving them a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing. Please...more vegetarian recipes!

I hope you and the wife have a beautiful day tomorrow.

xoxo
~vk~

lesbo said...

gahh!
why must i be so in hate with mushrooms?!
this sounds amazing.

Dawg said...

Mmmm Portshrooms Burgers are the best!!!!

Jen said...

This sounds freakin delicious.

Yum.

CrackerLilo said...

Nice! I'm a full-time vegetarian and only cook meat for my wife when she's down, or she's been really good, or I've been really bad. We love portabella sandwiches.

Windy Days said...

Dawn used to cook that all the time. LOVE IT! Italian is really good with it, by the way. Provolone was our favorite cheese with it.

We should have mushrooms and burgers one night in SD.

LilliGirl said...

I LOVE These Mushrooms!!! I am so making this. My fam will have to suck it up or go hungry some time in the near future. :)

Dragon said...

That sounds really good. I love my meat to much to go vegan but would definatly like to try that.

shane rocket said...

cool. I was a vegitarian for three years.. could easily go back!

Camlin said...

I'm veg and I love mushrooms. Totally trying this!