Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Barbie or GI Joe?


It's well known that the LGBT community carries tons of purchasing power AND we are a well educated consumer group that knows where to apply and where not to apply that purchasing power based on the Human Rights Campaign corporate equality index. Now instead of lugging the 2010 catalog of business around with you the HRC has conveniently added this information into a FREE application for the iphone and itouch. I immediately downloaded it onto my touch and was impressed with the ease of use.

Choose from either a sort by categories or brands and the listing will show in green, yellow or red the HRC ranking index. So in the category selection of Fun&Games it shows Barbie at a green 95 and GI Joe at a yellow 50. Does this mean you should buy your sons and daughters Barbies instead of GI Joe's? No, it means you know where the manufactures raking are as they relate to the equality index. You now have an educated choice.

The app also provides the details of each business in a profile which includes:

business rankings
non-discrimination policies (and if gender identity is included)
eligibility of same-sex partners medical benefits
transgender benefits
diversity training (specific gender identity)

Search under Human Rights Campaign and you'll find the free app to download on buying for equality.

11 comments:

Dragon said...

Nice, I think that iphone has an app for everything.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Very cool!

Propane Amy said...

Now I wish I had an Iphone

C.I.W. said...

Since getting my iphone I am a complete app's whore. I am installing that one NOW.

I don't know what I did before this damn thing.

Thanks for the info!!

lesbo said...

oh, totes going to check that out.
thanks for the heads up!

lesbo said...

I got it. very cool!
also- glad to see BenGay scored a 100.

Jude said...

LMAO...Lesbo, you're a riot.

CJ said...

Thanks for the update. I'm always on the prowl for cool new apps.

aj said...

So......basically, I'll just be buying the "Ken" dolls. (I'll home-make the weapons later.)

Monkey Outlaw said...

Checking it out now! Love it! Thanks!

canihelpyousir.com said...

What a cool app. I check out that index every year when it comes out (ha ha) to see who deserves my cash, and it's nice to know I can check it on the go now.