Sunday, April 4, 2010

Why Not Rattle My Brains?

(from usgs gov)
Oh yeah, we had an earthquake. The center of it was in Baja about 200 miles south from us. I was on my recliner reading when I started to feel something behind me. I started to yell at Ziggy and Mikey to "cut it out". Mrs. Jude yelled from the kitchen "What was I talking about?" I then realized when the recliner started to feel like I put a fucking quarter in it what was happening was not due from the animals (for once). I shouted out "Earthquake!" I've since found out, only people that have been transplanted to California shout out earthquake.

Fucker was shaking the whole house. We ended up under the doorway. The two of us and the two dogs. Not smart that we were under two hanging lights though. I'll have to find another place to go. Who knows where tuna hole ended up and my Dad was safe in his "library". It seemed like the shaking went on for half a minute but looking at the shake map, 9 seconds? Get the fuck out! It's wrong, had to be at least 30 seconds.

Not long after the 7.2, we sat down to a nice Easter dinner. I know I'm going to need TTUMS later and it won't be because of my Wife's cooking.

16 comments:

notjustafemme said...

HOLY GEEZE!
that sounds like a big one! glad you're all ok.

CrackerLilo said...

Bet you'll get this a lot, but glad you all came through okay. I've never been through an earthquake. That sounds scary as hell.

Mel's Way or No Way said...

I saw that on the news and wondered how you fared. Being a midwestern girl, I wouldn't realize it soon enough to even yell "earthquake".

Now, why does the mental image of you sitting in your recliner reading make me want to giggle?

lyon de clarasvals said...

I was wondering how you SD peeps were. It was more of big waves or vertigo here in Rdlnds. It did seem like it went on for a minute. Maybe it was instantaneous aftershocks.

C said...

yeah holy shit, jude i saw that on the news and justa bout crapped! they are happening everywhere lately, not good signs for 12-21-2012... now is it..

i only experience an earthquake once in my life when i was prolly 14, i felt unsteady on my feet, dizzy, then puked. this was in upstate NY.. and it hit somewhere else but we felt like a 2-3 on the rickter scale.

i am so glad you are alright. it's scary on this planet, anymore.....

c

ps

do you ever watch the kirsty allie show? it's crazy..

2momswithaplan said...

Yeah I heard about this on the news this morning. I'm so happy to hear you are ok!

dykeevolution said...

Jude, that yelling of the EARTHQUAKE comment made me crack the fuck up. I hear ya - I sure as hell would be yelling the same thing. Hahaha.

Glad you two are ok :)

greg said...

It's better than yelling out, "We're all gonna DIIIIIEEEE!!" I think you did just fine, considering. :)

I'm really glad you guys are ok, that was a big one.

shane rocket said...

LMAO!!!

last fall in SAN FRAN i said the same thing about the quarter in my bed! i was actually in bed!

glad the twinkle toe pedi lovr is safe! hug R for me!

Dragon said...

HAHA shaking and no charge for it. Don't even have to spare a quarter.

I heard about this and thought of you guys. Glad you all are ok.

My dad was just talking this weekend how he would like to move out there. Wonder if he rethinks this after hearing about the earth quake.

C.I.W. said...

oh crap how freaky!!!!!!

I am glad all is okay...

"what was I talking about?" HAHAHAHAH funny shit.

ciw.

jelly said...

I'd be yelling earthquake as well...glad you are all okay, I read about that this morning.

CJ said...

Wow. That's some scary stuff. Can't say we think much about earthquakes here in Mass. Thank goodness you are all ok.

Blazer said...

Even California natives yell "earthquake'. In our case it comes from more of a scientific place than one of panic. We yell earthquake and immediately start describing it. "This one is a rolling one, not a sharp one", "wonder were the epicenter is" and then there is the always popular guess the magnitude game. We also immediately turn on the TV for local news in hopes of a Dr. Kate Hutton siting. Hey it's fun that the Cal Tech expert is also a "sister".

Snooker said...

Your comment about the yelling of "Earthquake" only being used by California transplants reminds me of the first time I watched a non-native Kansan when the tornado alarms went off... Tee hee hee!

alphafemme said...

Yeah, I thought of you too when I heard about this quake!

All these earthquakes are making me nervous. Sooner or later it's going to be San Francisco's turn...