Sunday, May 9, 2010

Is it Attached?

Muv and the little Butch 1960
I've always been into gardening.

Even as a kid I would negotiate with my Mother what portion of the yard I could turn into a vegetable garden. I usually ended up with the rooty patch, on top of the hill and under the trees. The poor seeds never had a chance up there but this kid always gave it a valiant effort.

Radishes became my favorite very quickly because I always was able to grow them. I still dedicate a portion of my garden to radishes, for now it's a tradition.

One kid year I planted the garden and I had visions of watermelons sprouting all over the hillside, you see, dreaming is deeply rooted in my genes too. Soon after the planting I went to the YMCA Camp Morris for two weeks.

We sang the camp songs, "....a boy and a girl in a little canoe and the moon shinning all around..." Of course I was thinking along the line of a girl and a girl, in a canoe. Another song was "...1.9.6.5. at Morris Camp, no other year the same...". I fell in love with the junior counselor. I was into older women even back then.

I survived the two weeks, made a card holder for my Dad and didn't kill anyone while playing robin hood archery. Back at home that morning I woke up and I looked out my window, my Mom was hanging up the clothes on the clothes line (yeah, she really did that and boy did the clothes smell good!). We were talking a little then my eyes went up to my shady garden hill and there it was, my dream had come true.

Me: Muv! Look! There's a watermelon!!!

M: I remember her just smiling at me thinking I was pulling her leg and there was no way she was going to look.

Me: No really! There's a watermelon up there....look at it.

M: She finally turned around and was just as surprised as I was. She took the five step lung up the hill to see it.

Me: Is it attached? Is it attached?

She picked up the full sized watermelon and brought it down the hill, laughing all the way. Of course it hadn't been attached. My oldest brother had stopped by the house in the middle of the night and "planted" the watermelon. He knew I'd be checking out my garden early in the morning. He was right. I think I had a sense of disappointment in me in finding out it hadn't grown to full size in the two weeks I had been away. My Mother got a kick out it because my Brother had come up with some humor that played out flawlessly. It was the only watermelon that had made it that year.

So these are the things I'm thinking about this weekend and on Mother's day. How my Mother was able to sprinkled her humor in myself and in my brothers. And when I'm turning over the soil for my garden that now gets all the sun it needs, the dreams are still of giant tomatoes and the juiciest of strawberries....and one full-grown watermelon -- unattached.

8 comments:

vixen kitten said...

Dare I say you were absolutely adorable, Sugar!

You have some beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing them with us.

xoxo
~vk~

notjustafemme said...

that picture is adorable!
what a great story. thanks for sharing!

canihelpyousir.com said...

I love the picture!

I told you this earlier today, but thanks for posting this. It's a great memory and story, and it helped me do some thinking about my relationship with my own mom. You're the best, bro!

Jessi said...

That was a great story!

My gay mom (kinda like adopted mom) is realllly into gardening. She got me into it. I helped at their house alll summer last year. This year I made my own garden. I'm VERY excited about it! Glad to see I am as excited as you were... even at 20! :)

There's nothing wrong in dreaming big! :)

greg said...

What a wonderful memory and perfect to share on Mother's Day. Thank you!

Jen said...

I love that picture. What a great memory. Thanks for sharing Jude :)

Mel's Way or No Way said...

What a sweet picture and story.
Who knew you were ever so cute and sweet. ;)

Hope you have fun digging in the dirt.

Dragon said...

Great memories! :-)