Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shaker Map


Last night the Mrs and I were sitting in our respected couch spots when the ground started to move. We both looked at each other wide eyed as the shaking continued.


Living in So Cal on three separate occasions, I've been through quite a few earthquakes. I've felt some sizable ones and this part is hard to explain unless you've been through several, they all feel different.

You have the rolling kind where you feel like you're body surfacing on top of a wave.

The short snapping, jolting with a bang kind where normally it's followed by my vocal "what the fuck!".

And then there's the back and forth shaking ones.

The durations can be, it's over before you realize what happened to the more extreme where you actually start walking in circles then finding yourself under the proper door frame.

Last night's 5.7 where the center was 110 miles away from my couch was the back and forth kind. Back to the the Wife and I staring into each others wide eyes. We sat frozen like this for around five seconds then the shaking became more forceful and the house started to make a lot of noise, that's when we both jumped out of our couches and began the walking in circles stage.

Let me try to explain how the house felt at this point. Say you're on top of your woman, in bed, making mad passionate love (fucking her brains out). The whole bed is in rhythm of your fierce pounding to the point where the head board is slamming into the wall.

Last night, at the earthquakes strongest point, that's what the whole house felt like. Rhythmic, back and forth pounding with a lot of various noises.

By this time we were under a door frame, what ever good that's going to do. Then it stopped.

The one good thing about last night's earthquake? When we went to bed, after trying to fall asleep in between some short comments to each other the Wife came out and said, "let's have sex" and we proceed to cause our own little 5.7, in bed.

Earthquake anyone?

13 comments:

greg said...

Too scary for this east-coaster to imagine. Nuh uh and no way would I be ok with that...I mean the earthquake part - the sex part sounds fabulous!

alphafemme said...

HA! Make your own 5.7, indeed.

I woke up a few mornings ago to some rumblings. Never did check the internet to see if it was real or imagined. These little buggers happen all the time! But the last time I experienced one quite as intense as yours last night was about 10 years ago! And I'll gladly wait another 10 years+ to experience that again.

Dragon said...

If it causes a hot girl to climb in bed with me to have sex, sure!

The other thought is seeing all these buildings collapse at other earthquake locations, standing in the in the doorway seems as effective as sitting under your desk covering your head during a nuclear bomb. I would think the best place to be is outside away from buildings. But just my opinion with no experience never being in one.

Propane Amy said...

Jude, you have a way with words. That's all i can say....LOL

Well, glad you're both OK. But after that, I've got nothing.

CrackerLilo said...

I have to say, that was a fun and easy to understand analogy! I'm tired, but I think I just might go coax the wife into helping me understand what a 5.7 earthquake feels like...

small town dyke said...

A 5.7 seems like a nice trade of for SOD! Glad your both OK!

Mel's Way or No Way said...

Okay, so I finally have an understanding what a 5.7 earthquake must feel like. But Jude, I thought you and the wife could register higher than that. You don't even need a helmet until you hit 7.0. ;D

Jude said...

Mel, the helmet is for hotels...nuff said.

:)

notjustafemme said...

i like a girl who asks for what she wants. or rather, just demands it.
"let's have sex."

i think y'all should move to portland. we don't have earthquakes. we just have a shitload of rain. fair trade off.

C said...

you know i thought of you this morning whenst i heard it on the news! i really did! i hoped you were ok and that you would mention it in your blog and here i am and you did.


who's a good girl? you're a good girl...

you're SUCH a good girl...

anyway, glad no injuries jude, jeepers creepers... watch out for those jigglers...

c

The Surly Mermaid said...

even though i live in a country without carnivale or the jersey shore, my home town wellington in little ole nz is the earthquake capital. seriously. there's regularly a quake every month, and it's compulsory for all offices to have earthquake emergency kits under all the desks. you should get a kit together. mine includes a bottle of gin, a razor and my second favourite strap on. be prepared

kym said...

I'm staying on the east coast for sure...scary sounding.

But obviously the 'aftershocks' were the best part at your house.

;-)

Blazer said...

Not fair, I about 7 miles from the Northridge quake epicenter and I didn't get lucky. WTF?!?!?