Thursday, September 23, 2010

Your Advise is Needed

Last night was the second class of guitar lessons. At one point our instructor was leading 12 promising guitarists in playing our first song together, "let it be".  I played my part along with the others of being a little behind in the beat, not strumming enough strings, strumming too many strings and just missing the chord completely. We massacred the song.

So where does your help come in?

There's a guy that sits behind me that bugs the hell out of me. The only thing that is stopping me from crowning his head with my guitar is, well it's not my guitar. Here's what he does.

When all the rest of us are quiet, listening to the instructor as he gives us pointers, Mr. Strumnuts is attempting to play the G chord. Since his pinkie is not flexible enough to reach out to the one string, he misses that last note. Now if he was doing this quietly it wouldn't bother me but he's playing his fucking heart out and killing the chord. I'm hearing his ugly while trying to listen to the guy that I payed to hear. For fucks sakes, isn't it just common courtesy to shut the fuck up while the teacher is speaking?

It's not just me either that he's bugging. I see everybody giving him looks and their own rendition of the evil eye.

Four more weeks of lessons to go and I think what I'm going to do next week is talk to the little shit before the class starts.  Politely tell him that if he needs to play while the teacher is talking, use his quiet strumming technique because really I paid money to hear and be taught by an expert not some happy go lucky, doesn't practice during the week shit head.

What would you do?

8 comments:

dolphyngyrl said...

I would just be polite and let dude know that, he may not be aware, but it's hard to hear the instructor over his strumming. Maybe he's not a complete ass & is just oblivious. Be nice about it. If it's still a problem, take it to the instructor. You're paying for this class, you should be able to get the most out of it, and the instructor should understand that.

Good luck!

canihelpyousir said...

I tend to make jokes at first - "Hey Santana, I can't hear the instructor." But I'm with dolphyngyrl; if he keeps it up, mention it to the instructor (although a good teacher, in my opinion, would've nipped that in the bud).

Taylor said...

What I would do is look up alternative fingerings for the G chord. The one I use doesn't involve the stretching of my pinky. That way he won't kill the chord and maybe if it sounds right he'll quit trying to play while the teacher is talking.

C said...

i would do the exact same, jude... talk to him and if it doesnt work then talk to the teacher and let them handle it. you paid for the class and deserve the chance to learn.

lyon de clarasvals said...

If it were me, I'd change seats and let the teacher know. It's their job to take care of this sort of thing. Class discipline, even of adults, is part of the paycheck.

bellygirls said...

You already have some great advice from those up above... but if none of the above works... I would go with crowning him with the guitar. :)

LilliGirl said...

yep, yep...and I'd turn around and go "sssshhhhh" too when he's acting up

Mel's Way or No Way said...

Say something now while you can still remain somewhat polite. Otherwise it may build until you lose control of your shit and clobber the loud mouth. It would be a pity to ruin that lovely guitar. :)